Today’s special guest is Dr. Steven Mintz, author, speaker and “Ethics Sage.” SAFFIRE LEGAL PC’s founder and principal attorney Teresa McQueen talks with Dr. Mintz about the impact of ethics in the workplace and focusing on creating a more productive and civil working environment. A wonderful episode that highlights the practical steps employees and employers can take to create a more ethics-minded workplace.
Workplace Perspective is a regular podcast series for employers and employees focusing on education, training, and the law to help organizations of all sizes develop and maintain successful employer / employee relationships.
“You have to be pro-active with ethics – not reactive – to get the positive result.” – Dr, Steven Mintz
Highlights From This Week’s Workplace Perspective:
- Organizations can learn ethics, but it takes having an open-minded leadership that wants to learn, evaluate their own systems, and be open to change.
- To promote a culture of ethics, organizational leadership needs to “act the way you are asking your employees to act.”
- “Employees tend to act in the way that they think will be rewarded.”
- Common dangers zones for unethical behavior flow from messages sent from the top; a lack of “stakeholder capitalism;” and rationalizing unethical behavior.
- Ethics as an awareness issue and the evolution of the ‘ethics culture.’
Dr. Mintz’ Ethical Tips for Employers and Employees
- To achieve positive results you need to be pro-active with ethics, not reactive.
- Think before you act and live by the mantra of “do no harm.”
- Consider the consequences of your actions before you act. “It takes a long time to build a reputation for trust, but not very long to destroy it.”
- Go ahead and draft that angry tweet or email, but send it to yourself before sending it to its intended recipient or out onto the internet.
- Find a mentor or adviser – someone whose opinion you respect – to go to for advise or to run ideas by before making a report or taking action.
Thank You To:
Additional Resources Provided By Dr. Mintz:
Special Thanks To…
(Engineer/Associate Producer Extraordinaire!)
Michele Hardy de Boisblanc
(Associate Producer Extraordinaire!)
(Composer Extraordinaire! Today’s episode features the song Grifter)
James Bohannan & The Knave At Knight
(DJs & “Radio Angels” Extraordinaire!)
Thank you for listening!
Don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE to the show (using the links above or below) to receive new episodes on your podcast player the second and fourth Wednesday of every month.
Raise The Bar At Workplaces Everywhere! by getting the word out about this podcast. Rate and review this show at Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher Radio, Google Play, Blubrry and Tunein and be sure to share this podcast with a friend.
Connect with us and reach out with any questions/concerns:
This podcast is for informational, educational, and entertainment purposes only. It is not to be construed as legal advice specific to your circumstances. If you need help with any legal matters, be sure to consult with an attorney regarding your specific needs.
© 2018 SAFFIRE LEGAL, PC. Workplace Perspective Raising the Bar at Workplaces Everywhere!® and copyrights are proprietary. All Rights Reserved.